Florida Cuban Sandwich Recipe
Florida is in the Southern region of America and it is quite known for many things. There’s Disney World, which means lots of fun, Margaritaville, several beaches where people go to ease off and have fun, as well as a Cuban influence. You may not have probably heard but Florida is just 90 miles from the Cuban island. For a long time now, people from Cuba have been traveling to Florida for different reasons. There’s even a swimming competition where participants have to swim from Cuba to Florida.
Well, that’s just a little intro. Let’s focus on the Florida Cuban sandwich. No one knows its origin though but people enjoy it a lot. It is made of slowly cooked pork, ham, mustard, pickles, and cheese served on Cuban bread. This particular recipe is called the Tampa style and it takes a total of 8 hours and 20 minutes to prepare. The cook time is 8 hours while the preparation time is just 20 minutes. Let’s go straight to the ingredients needed to cook this exciting delicacy.
The ingredients are what you can easily get in any supermarket or mall where foodstuffs are sold. You may even have some of them at home. Here they are:
- 3.5 lbs of pork butt. It is fleshier and is perfect for this particular sandwich
- Half cup of orange juice
- Half cup of lime juice
- 10 cloves of garlic. Wash and chop them.
- One large onion
- One tsp. of Mexican oregano
- One teaspoon of salt
- Half tsp. of black pepper
- Half tsp. of cumin
- Half pound of sliced deli ham
- Half pound of sliced Genoa salami
- Half pound of Swiss cheese
- Softened butter
- Sub roll
- Dill pickles
Follow the procedure carefully and you might just be a pro in making this sandwich. Here’s the procedure:
1. In a slow cooker, add the garlic, quartered onions, oregano, cumin, salt, pepper, orange, and like juice. Stir to mix them.
2. Place the pork on the stirred mixture and cover the cooker. Ensure it is in low heat.
3. Allow cooking for max 8 hours
4. Once it is done, bring the cooked pork out and onto a cutting board. Shred and cut it up into large chunks
5. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit
6. Open the sub rolls and add mustard on each side. Spread it out
7. Place the ham, salami, and pickle slices on the bottom of the roll
8. Pile the shredded pork on top of the pickles
9. Next is Swiss cheese on top of the pork
10. Close the sub roll. Brush butter lightly on the top and bottom
11. Wrap the completed sandwich in foil and place in the oven. Leave in for about 5-10 minutes which allows the cheese to melt. The roll will also toast a little.
12. Bring it out and serve!
If you don’t have an oven available, you can use a pan. Your Florida Cuban sandwich is ready!