New York Style Pastrami Sandwich Recipe
The pastrami sandwich is one of the most favorite sandwiches in the city of New York, most likely due to the main ingredient of the sandwich; pastrami, and also the cherished new York style of preparing pastrami sandwich. Pastrami is meat gotten from beef brisket or can even be gotten from lamb or turkey. It is age-long meat, which made its way into New York in the 1880s, as repayment of favor from a Romanian friend to his Lithuanian friend Sussman volk. They are seasoned with spicers then smoked or steamed. They come cooked already, therefore can be consumed immediately, but most people prefer using theirs to make a sandwich.
Now let’s take a look at how to make a New York-style Pastrami sandwich.
New York-style Pastrami sandwich ingredients;
- Thinly sliced onions
- Mustard seed
- Cup of beef broth
- Rye bread or 4 sandwich buns
- Cheese slices
New York-style Pastrami sandwich recipe;
- Simmer the pastrami in beef broth until it is hot. This can take approximately 5-7 minutes to complete.
- Spread the mustard on the inside parts of the bread.
- Divide the pastrami among the four slices of sandwich. You can do that equally or share it 4ounces for the smaller sandwich and 8 ounces for a larger sandwich.
- Add a cheese slice each on top of the pastrami in each sandwich buns, then add the sliced onions. To make it extra, you can also add your tomatoes, lettuce, and pickles, or any other ingredient of your choice.
- Place a slice of bread on each of the sandwiches, then spread butter in the outside parts of the bread.
- Grill both sides of the sandwich until it becomes toasted, you can also allow it to get as crispy as you wish.
- Your New York pastrami sandwich is ready! It is advised to serve when warm, accompanied with any drink of your choice or chips.
Nutritive content of the new York pastrami sandwich;
The pastrami sandwich comes with a lot of ingredients, which includes cheese, sandwich buns, pastrami meat, mustard, onions, etc. as many as the ingredients are, and so are the nutrients. Let’s take a look at the nutritive value of a New York pastrami sandwich.
Basically, a pastrami sandwich contains about 28 grams of total fat, 166 milligrams of cholesterol, and 628 calories. It also contains 57 grams of protein, beating the normal recommended value of protein daily. The rye bread provides a high amount of salt intake, containing up to 2000 milligrams of sodium.
The pastrami sandwich also offers 5 micrograms of vitamin b12 and up to 39 micrograms of vitamin b6. Both are essential in maintaining a functioning nervous system, healthy skin and also reducing the risk of having heart disease. Vitamin b12 is also essential in the development of cells, which is very important for children. Other vitamins gotten from the pastrami sandwich include vitamins A, E, D, and K.
The pastrami sandwich also contains up to 510 milligrams of calcium, 78 milligrams of magnesium, and up to 697 milligrams of magnesium. Other minerals contained in a pastrami sandwich include Zinc, iron, etc.
A new York-style pastrami sandwich is surely one healthy meal to try out.